Agricultural Trials Officer (Crop Agronomy, SW VIC/SE SA)
This is an opportunity to join an enthusiastic research team who are national science providers and project managers for cropping research projects across Australia. The successful applicant will be responsible for conducting field-based research programs in the South West Victoria/ South East South Australia region as well as assisting the team in the operation of projects nationwide. Specific agronomic and scientific training related to this role will be provided in the first year of employment.
The key responsibilities will involve:
- Conducting field research trials in South West Victoria/ South East South Australia under FAR management – including developing trial layouts, trial site preparation, assisting with sowing and harvest and application of nutrients and agrichemicals to trials.
- Sampling and assessment of agronomy trials according to protocol with support from the Research Manager – including canopy composition and development, soil nutrients and soil quality, disease, pest and weed incidence and severity, crop yield and quality assessments.
- Liaison with collaborating partners to ensure the best outcomes.
- Assisting the research team with the collation and analysis of data generated.
- Operation of agricultural trials research equipment.
- Reviewing and reporting on trial operations.
- Collaborative planning of research trials, protocols, treatments and trial designs
Other responsibilities will include:
- Effectively contributing to the proactive FAR Australia team in the areas of cropping based agricultural science, extension and training.
- Working collaboratively with other industry partners to ensure the best research outcomes whilst maintaining the quality and integrity of the FAR Australia research and extension standards.
The position available is a two-year contract with a view to it being extended and the role will involve travel interstate with periods of time away from home.
The remuneration will be competitive and will be negotiated in relation to the skills and experience of the individual.
Experience / Qualifications
Practical experience in agriculture and or agricultural research and science would be beneficial. A relevant tertiary qualification is desirable as is an understanding of the Australian cropping industry, however it is not essential for the appropriate candidate.
Relevant skills include:
- An understanding of the Australian agricultural industry.
- Enthusiasm and a positive ‘can do’ approach to challenges that require attention to detail.
- Sound work ethic and a desire to conduct field research working both indoors and outdoors.
- Computer competency with familiarity of MS word & MS Excel.
- Ability to interpret experimental protocols and trial plans.
- A willingness and ability to collaborate with others in order to ensure the best field research outcomes.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to be proactive in assisting with field operations and data handling to ensure good results in the field.
- The skills required lend themselves to a candidate who has recently graduated in agricultural sciences, though this should not exclude others from applying.
If you are resident in Australia, have all relevant visa’s and are enthusiastic with a sound work ethic and a have desire to be involved in the detail of field research we would like to hear from you. Please submit your application and cv to Rachael Black at email@example.com